Why Coaching vs. Therapy?
People come into therapy for many reasons. Some need to respond to unexpected changes in their lives, while others seek self-exploration and personal growth. When coping skills are overwhelmed by guilt, doubt, anxiety, or despair, therapy can help.
Coaching is different. Coaching is about Thriving vs. Just Surviving. People seeking coaching are not only willing to make changes, but want to focus on creating the future they choose vs. just 'surviving their pasts.' They are willing to take responsibility for their actions, work towards self-change and create greater awareness in their lives.
What can I expect in a coaching session with Gloria?
During sessions you are expected to talk about the primary concerns and issues in your life. A session lasts 50-55 minutes, but some people request longer sessions. Usually it is best to begin with weekly sessions to gain some momentum; later the sessions can be spaced farther apart. My goal is always to have you achieve your goals in the shortest, most efficient way possible.
Coaching with Gloria is different because she is also a psychologist and can understand the emotional and psychological obstacles that get in the way of getting to your goals.
What benefits can I expect from working with a coach?
Coaching is all about treating the whole person……mind, body and soul. Coaching clients are the people who want to live their best lives.
By focusing on you as a whole person, you will find resources you didn’t even know you had. You have wisdom, abilities and undeveloped potential you have yet to imagine. Coaching can add purpose to your life and put ‘pep in your step.’ This applies to both individuals and couples.
Some of the benefits of coaching are:
- Empowering you to have the life you really want.
- Eliminating personal lies that have been holding you back.
- Discovering your untapped potential
- Developing more confidence
- Facilitating the change you want
- Determining your goals for a life well-lived
- Discovering new ways to overcome obstacles and conflicts
- Improving athletic, academic or work performance
- Giving you practical, real results
- Helping you to design the life you want
- Prevention of future emotional or ‘mental’ problems
Is Psychological, Life Coaching for Me? Yes....if.....you prefer the following:
- Shorter-term help
- Between session homework, reading and/or action steps
- Collaborative, interactive relationship
- Session conversation that is pragmatic and optimistic
- Therapy that involves planning for the future with goals and action steps
What if I don’t know what my goals are for therapy or coaching?
It is not uncommon to experience stress and anxiety and not be able to specifically identify the source of the distress. If you aren’t sure what your goals are for therapy, I will help you figure that out. During the course of sessions with me, your goals may change. However, establishing a direction and a path forward. I will help you get the most out of the experience.
Are therapy and coaching both confidential?
In general, the law protects the confidentiality of all communications between a client and a psychotherapist. Because I am also a psychologist, I must adhere to these ethics. Information is not disclosed without written permission. However, there are number of exceptions to this rule. Exceptions include:
- Suspected child abuse or dependent adult or elder abuse. The therapist is required by law to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
- If a patient is threatening serious bodily harm to another person(s). The therapist must notify the police and inform the intended victim.
- If a patient intends to harm himself or herself. The therapist will make every effort to enlist their cooperation in insuring their safety. If they do not cooperate, further measures may be taken without their permission in order to ensure their safety.
For more information about types of therapy and choosing the right therapist, refer to: www.networktherapy.com/directory/about_therapy.asp
If you would like further information or details on any of my services, please contact me today! I will be happy to answer any questions you have.